A warm welcome over Ulverston and the Cumbria Way
Set in an acre of peaceful walled gardens, St Mary’s Mount Country House is a comfortable and elegant property with views over Ulverston and Morecambe Bay. The house dates back to 1825 and is full of period features, warmed by the welcome of your very friendly hosts.
St Mary’s Mount has eight luxurious guest rooms, retaining open fireplaces and antique beds and furnishings but adding comfortable modern mattresses and crisp new linens. In keeping with a period property, each room is individual though all share certain facilities: tea and coffee-making equipment, flat-screen TVs and bathrobes. Though the rooms have a charming country-house appeal, step into your en-suite bathrooms and you’ll find super-modern facilities, gleaming porcelain and quality toiletries. All in all it’s far more than you’d expect for so modest a price.
Guests here aren’t confined to their rooms. There’s a dedicated dining room for breakfast – and for other meals by arrangement – as well as sitting rooms and a conservatory with magnificent views over the sea. Best of all there are the grounds, a full acre of beautifully tended gardens, walled for privacy and warmth but giving glorious views over Ulverston.
- Building of Historical Interest
- Children by Arrangement
- Dinner by Arrangement
- Free off-street parking
- Free Wifi
- Ground Floor Bedroom
- National Park
- Places of Historical Interest
- Opening Times: open all year
- Tel: +44 (0) 1229 583 372
- Mob: +44 (0)7734 849 005
- Price Range: from £80
Prices per room based on two sharing in either the main house or the Stable Annex, including breakfast
Double/twin en-suite or private bathroom - £80
Single occupancy (or single room) - £50
Meals by arrangement
Packed lunch - £6 per person
Supper - £20 per person
Dinner - £27 per person
St Mary's Mount's position is ideal; In the grounds you hear only birdsong but the market town of Ulverston is in the view and it is only a short walk down to the restaurants and shops of the centre - and the start of the Cumbria Way. This is one place you can visit without a car - the train station is a mile away - but if you have driven up to explore the lakes, your hosts here seem quite happy for you to leave your car here for a few days if heading off on a major hike in the Lake District National Park. Local attractions include Lake Windermere, the Yorkshire Dales, Holker Hall, Muncaster Castle, Haverthwaite steam railway and more.
Gerry & Marion Bobbett
- Bio : Your hosts here are Gerry and Marion Bobbett, both keen fell walkers who are happy to advise hikers - and make them packed lunches to send them on their way. Marion has a background in catering and hospitality and her kitchen skills are legendary, whether you're enjoying breakfasts with home-made marmalades and eggs fresh from the property's own chickens, or lavish three-course evening meals. They used to run a wine shop in Ulvertson and have a passion for fine food and special vintages.