Home comforts by the Lake District in a historic stately pile
Johnby Hall is an Elizabethan manor house that started around 1350 as a fortified pele tower and has belonged to the Howard family since 1783. The present generation are Henry and Anna Howard who proudly welcome guests into their family home, providing a comfortable base from which to enjoy the Lake District, Eden Valley and beyond.
Located in a pretty 17th century cottage in the garden, the Studio is a luxury open-plan suite, stylishly fitted out with stripped-wood floors in an elegant, uncluttered style. Stairs lead up to an open-plan bedroom on the first floor with a king sized bed and a single bed, while a sofa-bed on the ground floor can also be folded out for families and there’s plenty of space to add toddler beds, cots or even dog baskets. There is also a separate kitchen – newly installed in 2020 – and a shower room. Although the Studio actually adjoins Johnby Hall it feels completely private – though with full access to the lovely gardens. These, along with the adjoining woodlands, are full of wildlife including red squirrels and deer, and the family also keep free range chickens and rare breed pigs.
Johnby Hall suggests
You can take the Studio for just a few nights, though prices are better for a week. There’s certainly no shortage of things to see and do. Penrith is five miles away and the Lake District on your doorstep. Or learn a new skill: just up the road from Johnby Hall the Quirky Workshop offers courses in stone carving, blacksmithing, wood carving and more.
- Building of Historical Interest
- Children by Arrangement
- Dinner by Arrangement
- Dogs by Arrangement
- Free off-street parking
- Free Wifi
- National Park
- Places of Historical Interest
- Opening Times: open all year
- Tel: +44 (0) 1768 483 257
- Price Range: from £415/week
Prices are per person, per night, including breakfast
1 King Size & 1 Single
£135.00 - per night (double or twin occupancy)
£95.00 - single occupancy
Minimum three-night stay
Small children free.
Over 5s - £15 per child
Per extra adult - £20
Single supplement - £25
Johnby Hall is located near Penrith in Cumbria with the Lake District National Park’s fells, dales, and lakes on the doorstep. Wolsey Lodge guests will enjoy the many tourist attractions such as lake steamers, historic houses, gardens, castles and the many events, craft fairs and festivals take place locally throughout the year in this part of Cumbria.
Henry & Anna Howard
- Bio : Your hosts Henry and Anna Howard are both part-time professional musicians – Henry is a tenor and Anna is a harpist and soprano. (Musical guests feel especially at home here, and can enjoy playing the pianos in the Studio and great hall.) Henry, Anna, and their young family are dedicated to ensuring a warm and friendly welcome for their B&B guests and helping them to appreciate all that the Lake District, Cumbria and Yorkshire has to offer.