Crow LeasowMiddleton, Ludlow, Shropshire, SY8 3EE, England
Historic friendly farmhouse in South Shropshire’s rolling hills
Named after the thousand-year oak that lives in its garden, this beautiful Jacobean property welcomes a select few guests into a rural world of dogs, chickens, a cockerel and a cat, while being just three miles from the medieval market town of Ludlow. Comforts are extreme but the atmosphere is friendly and relaxed. not so much luxurious as comfortable and laid back. Think wellies and slippers and comfy sofas by a woodburning stove. A lavish breakfast can be taken for granted, but everything is possible here, from packed lunches for walkers to afternoon scones for tea, with evening meals often provided for groups.
There are three guest bedrooms here, each with a character all of their own. The Old Oak suite is perhaps the most charming, with a 7’x7′ French painted bed and beams everywhere. As a suite there is a private sitting area with plenty of space for an extra bed. The Blue Room has twin antique French beds that, thanks to a memory foam topper, can be combined to make a super king. The Red Room is a lovely double-aspect room with a queen-sized four-poster taking centre stage. Many of the rooms have underfloor heating, but all have antique furnishings and are beautifully decorated.
There’s plenty of space to relax downstairs, with a large dining room and a comfortable sitting room with a wood-burning stove. The grounds, described by their owner as ‘a work in progress’ carve out an oasis of ease at the heart of a 5,500 acre estate. There are plenty of shady enclaves in which to relax, and croquet is also available – though sometimes can be disrupted by a passing hen. You’ll forgive them at breakfast when the very freshest eggs are served.
Crow Leasow suggests
Give yourself a preview of what to expect by watching Channel Four’s ‘The Great Hotel Escape‘ that filmed the restoration project that went in to bringing Crowe Leasow into the 20th century.
- Building of Historical Interest
- Children by Arrangement
- Dinner by Arrangement
- Dogs by Arrangement
- Free off-street parking
- Free Wifi
- Places of Historical Interest
- Opening Times: open year round
- Tel: +44 7812 602122
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mob: +44 7812 602122
- Price Range: from £115
Rates per room, per night, based on two sharing, including breakfast
Blue Room - from £145
Red Room - from £155
Old Oak Suite - from £165, with extra beds for children at £15
Minimum two-night stays at weekends.
Single occupancy 10% discount on the double price
Dinners (by arrangement) - £35 pp for two courses, £20 for a cold platter.
Bring your own wine etc.
Light suppers can be put together for late arrivals and picnic hampers can be put together by prior arrangement.
Crow Leasow is set in the heart of the 5,500 acre Downton Estate, which is itself part of the South Shropshire Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. Footpaths head out from the door on a range of wonderful walks where you'll hardly encounter another soul. But though the setting is thoroughly rural it's just three miles to the medieval market town of Ludlow, with a castle, a simply charming range of independent shops and a mainline railway station. Taxis are erratic here but if guests bring bicycles it's a pretty level pedal to Crow Leasow. Thanks to its position on the border with Wales there are plenty of castles to explore, as well as lots of National Trust properties and English Heritage sites.
Sue and John, visiting for a family event; 3 couples with 2 teenage girls, suppers and a celebration dinner for a special 80th birthday
Daily Telegraph, September 2017 -‘Top 10 UK Cool Bed and Breakfasts
Sally & Robin Kellard
- Bio : Your hosts here are Sally and Robin Kellard. Robin - quite literally - keeps the home fires burning, while Sally takes charge of the Jacobean kitchen, rustling up fantastic breakfasts on the Aga and occasional evening feasts. Ingredients are locally sourced. If the vegetables aren't home-grown then at least Sally and Robin know the people who've grown them. After many years running a B&B in Herefordshire (picked out by the Telegraph in 2017 as one of the UK's 'Top Ten Cool B&B's') they returned to their Ludlow home to renovate Crow Leasow. Their progress was recorded- by Channel 4 - for the series 'Great Hotel Escape' so you can always track their ups and downs. In some ways their work continues, with stabling under construction, but it's hard to find fault in what they've accomplished to date.
Bossington HallAllerford, Minehead TA24 8HL, UK
- Bed & Breakfast
Lordington HouseLordington, Chichester, West Sussex, PO18...
- Bed & Breakfast