Pentillie Castle & EstatePaynters Cross, St Mellion, Saltash, Cornwall, PL12 6QD, England
A fairy-tale castle with Dartmoor views
This boutique B&B provides intimate comforts in a splendid setting. Pentillie Castle was built as a grand formal house in 1698 in 55 acres of woodland gardens leading down to the Tamar Estuary. The property and surrounding 1,500-acre estate were grand in conception and have been carefully tended ever since.
As a B&B it’s second to none. Comforts are extreme and the atmosphere warm and welcoming. Just nine luxury ensuite bedrooms are spread throughout the entire Castle giving you the privacy to relax in style and feel you have the castle to yourself. The grounds, largely planted with American specimen trees in the late 19th century, reward hours of exploration and include their own stone circle, a restored mausoleum and a Victorian stone-built bathing house. As if this were not enough the Coryton family have piled on facilities. There’s a solar-heated outdoor pool, a games room and garden games including croquet, boules and giant jenga.
There are nine guest bedrooms at Pentillie Castle, all with superking Vi-Spring beds, crisp white linens and waffle dressing gowns. En-suite facilities are equipped with Cornish St Kitts Herbery toiletries and several have Victorian-style roll-top baths, with plentiful hot water from a biomass boiler. Each room is individually furnished in an elegant style and equipped with a flat-screen TV, DAB radio and superfast broadband throughout.
Guests here are free to roam around the house and grounds. There is a large drawing room with an open fire, a smaller morning room, and a dining room with space to seat 60. On occasions, usually Thursdays, it is filled: formal dinners here are quite an event. On any evening Pentillie is a great place to be, with a terrace overlooking the river for a sundowner drink (there’s an honesty bar) and there’s even a guest kitchen – complete with Aga – where it’s possible to pre-order a DIY Supper to eat at your leisure if you can’t tear yourself away.
- Building of Historical Interest
- Children by Arrangement
- Dinner by Arrangement
- Dogs by Arrangement
- Free Wifi
- Ground Floor Bedroom
- Swimming Pool
- Places of Historical Interest
- Opening Times: open all year
- Tel: +44 (0) 1579 350 044
- Mob: +44 (0)7974 143 344
- Price Range: from £160
Rates per room based on two sharing, B&B
This is one B&B where your accommodation is, itself, a destination: you can spend days exploring the house and grounds. Venture out and you can take boat or fishing trips on the Tamar, 4 x 4 driving through the estate, golf at the St Mellion club nearby, or visit some of Cornwall's famous gardens - discounts are available for guests to enter the Lost Gardens of Heligan and the Eden Project. Plymouth is in easy reach and even trips to the spectacular outdoor Minack Theatre can be arranged.
The Pentillie team are justifiably proud of the awards they’ve won over the last few years
- Bio : Your hosts here are the Coryton family, who inherited the property and continue to run it as a B&B with their excellent team. They are very much hands-off hosts though: guests here truly feel as though they have the run of the castle. The castle sometimes hosts formal dinners but the Corytons have also come up with an intriguing solution to the evening-meal issue. There are pubs in the area and the castle does not have an actual restaurant, but the breakfast chef will prepare table hote suppers - even allowing for dietary restrictions - that guests can heat in the guest kitchen Aga. Ingredients are fresh from the walled kitchen garden, the wider estate, or the local area.