Dowfold HouseLow Jobs Hill, Crook, Weardale, County Durham, DL15 9AB, England
Exceedingly homely, lovely and eco-friendly
A charming Victorian house in the heart of County Durham, once the local mine manager’s residence, it now offers the very warmest of welcomes. This ‘home from home’, near to the North Pennines an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, has attractive grounds with views over the Wear Valley and beyond.
Ample parking is available and even overnight stabling next door for Wolsey Lodge guests travelling with their horse. Drive through stone gateposts, park by wisteria-clad outhouses and be welcomed by your hosts. Then enjoy tea and home-made biscuits in the cosy guest sitting room, conservatory or patio, depending on the weather.
Classically furnished, every nook and cranny house parts of an eclectic book collection. Bed and breakfast guests will enjoy an award-winning breakfast in the elegant dining room, which is adorned with portraits of family forebears.
The comfortable bedrooms are individually furnished, all with en suite facilities and pleasant views. Quality linen, great showers, tea/coffee tray with home-made goodies, stylish toiletries and flat screen digital televisions all make for a restful stay.
Dowfold House suggests
A walking tour of Weardale – England’s last true wilderness. In this time of staycation, few pastimes offer a better chance of social distancing, and the opportunities throughout Weardale are amazing. Visit http://www.discoverweardale.com/things-to-see-and-do/activities/walking to find out more.
- Building of Historical Interest
- Children by Arrangement
- Dogs by Arrangement
- Electric Vehicle Charger
- Free off-street parking
- Free Wifi
- Museums & Galleries
- Places of Historical Interest
- Opening Times: closed Christmas & New Year
- Tel: +44 (0) 1388 762 473
- Price Range: from £90
Room Rate, based on 2 people, including breakfast
1 Super King (6') B&B Room (en suite shower) - from £95
1 King (5') B&B Room (en suite bath & shower) - from £95
1 Double (4'6") B&B Room (en suite shower) - from £90
1 Twin (2 x 3') B&B Room (en suite shower) - from £90
Single occupancy from £65 - £72
Discounted Rates for 2 nights or more, for bookings made directly via telephone
Just nine miles from Durham, close to the A68 and being half way between London and Inverness, it is a great stopping off place. Those staying a while will find the area steeped in history, heritage and the most inspiring scenery. Durham Cathedral & Castle, Auckland Castle, the oldest Saxon church in the UK, Gateshead’s Angel of the North and Weardale and the wild windswept North Pennines are all easily accessible. There is much to do, see and explore for all interests.
Jill & Rupert Richardson
- Bio : Escaping the rat race, Jill and Rupert bought Dowfold House several years ago as a going concern. Much tender loving care has since been lavished - and it shows. B&B guests, many who return regularly, appreciate Rupert’s background in baking and catering and Jill’s natural affinity with hospitality and attention to detail. Jill is the gardener, while Rupert enjoys singing with the local choral society. Environmental issues are close to their hearts and the household is run with a green ethos making it a gold winning environmentally friendly B&B.